OUR ONESTAFF PACKING CHECKLIST: 12 KEY ADDITIONS FOR YOUR FIRST (OR 10TH) TRAVEL ASSIGNMENT
If you’re new to the life of a gypsy nurse, you may not know which supplies and provisions to bring along to help your first assignment run smoothly.
In general, you can expect your company-provided housing to provide basic furniture and kitchen appliances. However, you should inquire what else will be included so you can plan accordingly.
Of course you don’t want to drag along non-essential items that will only get in the way. On the other hand, a few well-chosen belongings can go a long way toward making you feel more comfortable in your new assignment.
Here are some beyond-the-obvious items you may not have thought of.
1. A power fan. Not only can it generate fresh air quickly, but it can do double duty by drowning out environmental noise so you can sleep.
2. Your own linens. Bring your own sheets, pillows, blanket and mattress pad. You may sleep better if you can closely recreate the bed you sleep in most often.
3. Cleaning supplies. If you have particularly high standards, you may want to spiff up your lodgings before moving in.
4. A few groceries. You may not have the time or energy to visit a grocery store in the first few days.
5. Clothes hangers. Don’t assume they’ll be on hand.
6. Key cooking gear. A microwave may be needed, and depending on your routines you may wish to bring your own blender, slow cooker, popcorn popper, coffee maker, can opener, etc.
7. A travel book. If you’ll be stationed in a tourist town or picturesque area, you’ll want to know about key places to visit.
8. Warm clothes. Most destinations can turn chilly at times. Do yourself a favor and pack a hat and mittens, at least one outfit and a form of outerwear that can keep you warm when that happens.
9. Framed photos. These may buffer bouts of homesickness.
10. A Wi-Fi router. This could be of utmost importance if Wi-Fi isn’t provided
11. A DVD player or a laptop with a streaming device. A TV may or may not be available at your new digs; bringing your own means of digital entertainment could save the day.
12. Laundry baskets. They’ll either be invaluable for hauling clean and dirty clothing or will simply be great for storage.