MAKING YOUR TRAVEL DESTINATION FEEL MORE LIKE HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS
The holidays are the magical time of year when we all hanker for our traditions and the comforts of familiarity. And, predictably, during a travel assignment over the holidays, those experiences won’t be quite as familiar.
So, what do you do? Do you have to reinvent your holidays? In some ways you do — and that’s not a bad thing — but there are things you can do to make your travel holiday feel like all those holidays enjoyed at home. Here’s our list to help you get started.
* Bring some of home with you. Whether it’s your Christmas stockings, a favorite decoration or your special silverware, bringing some of your favorite homey touches with you while traveling will help you feel right at home for the holidays.
* Take the time to plan your holiday meals. From Thanksgiving to Christmas, your holiday meals will only feel thrown together if you allow them to. Instead, plan out the meals with all the diligence you would use at home and put your new kitchen through its paces. You'll find it’s the best way to make your travel home look and feel lived in.
* Make use of modern technology. One of the hardest things about a holiday travel assignment is being away from the people you normally see during this time of year. Your devices can help you stay connected, however. The old-fashioned phone call never goes out of style and a videochat during dinner can make it feel like loved ones are at the table with you.
* Bring the holidays to your loved ones. One of the best parts of travel healthcare work is certainly the travel and you can use it to your advantage at this time of year. If you routinely have loved ones that travel to see you during the holidays, accept an assignment close to where they live and you can pay them a visit instead.
* Explore the perks of your new location. Here we go again, telling you all about the wonders of travel. It’s true though. When you travel it gives you a unique opportunity to explore the traditions and holiday events in your destination area. Don’t pass this up. From parades and festivals to new holiday dishes, you may just find something worth bringing home with you.